Sunday, March 21, 2010

First weekend workshop with Rebecca

(Update and note: having just re-read this post, I think it's a bit technical, and possibly I'm using the wrong names for some of the poses, so apologies in advance if you're just a casual reader - or if you know WAY more about yoga than me and I've gotten something wrong!)

Having just completed my very first complete weekend workshop with Rebecca Lerner, I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I managed to keep up with most of the class, which is saying quite a lot, considering the curriculum and who some of the students were...

I feel somewhat overwhelmed by the amount of information I tried to take in this weekend, and I am mentally as well as physically exhausted. I did learn that I am ready to begin pranyama studies (as if I have time to add something else to my busy schedule - ha!) and I think I honestly need the pranyama. Racquel (who also stayed at our house this weekend) tells me there is a wonderful guided pranyama sequence on CD, by John Schumacher, and I will investigate picking up a copy.

About the only things I can remember right now are: "posing and then reposing" to correct and readjust asanas; giving your own body directional touches to train various parts to move in the right direction for particular asanas; two particular adjustments - using hands to physically "pull" the armpits forward so they don't get stuck in the triceps and using thumbs to sort of "push" the flesh of the buttocks down. I'm not yet quite ready to try to incorporate a discussion of "opening the mouth of the anal sphincter" though I suspect it should be a vital part of my practice...

All in all, it was a wonderful weekend. Which is a good thing, considering it was my Christmas present! And a big shout out to Racquel, who was a delightful houseguest and very tolerant of our children and our informal lifestyle.

Namaste!

PS I will definitely post soon about the important role wine played in my survival of the weekend!

UPDATE: It's Monday morning, and I remembered a few other things as I was driving to work. "Open door" vs. "closed door" poses - refers to hips, shoulders, chest; the strength in paryankasana (sp?) (head balance variation that's on the elbows, with head off the floor and hands pressing a block) comes from keeping the shoulder blades deeply into the back and moving towards the buttocks; sarvangasana II (headstand with forearms and hands flat on the floor) is a dynamite pose; and somersaulting into viparita kirani (legs up the wall) is delightfully fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment